Movie Power Rankings: 'Star Trek 2' beams its way to the top
Where do 'Hunger Games,' 'Breaking Dawn' and 'The Avengers' end up?
Fans of J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" reboot have been boldly ready to go wherever a sequel will take them for some time now. There have been plenty of news stories to pique our interest, but it's somewhat of a relief to know that the production has finally started shooting in L.A., er, space. Now we just need to know what the thing's about. The first film's Enterprise crew, featuring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg, Bruce Greenwood, Karl Urban and Anton Yelchin, will be joined by newcomers Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller. "Star Trek 2," in post-converted 3D, opens May 17, 2013.
As for the rest of this week's list…
January 18, 2012
1. "Star Trek" (Last Week: No. 8)
Shooting has commenced on the J.J. Abrams' sequel. Engage.
2. "Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 4)
Writer Simon Beaufoy is hard at work on the sequel, "Catching Fire," which director Gary Ross is set to helm. It's a good bet they'll greenlight part 3 just as soon as "Hunger Games" makes 10 zillion dollars opening weekend.
Are you ready for your first new look at the last and final and ultimate and last "Twilight" film?
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Director Joss Whedon reveals that the Marvel superhero epic will be told through the eyes of Captain America (Chris Evans). Does Robert Downey Jr. know this?
Movie James Bond turns fifty, and we get a present: Some revelations about the "SkyFall" plot. Watch out, Judi Dench!
Judd Apatow is reuniting the dysfunctional couple from "Knocked Up" (Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann), and throwing in Megan Fox and Melissa McCarthy for added value. Take a look.
10. "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" (Last week: Not ranked)
A new poster for the president-turned-slayer film makes Honest Abe look like a nineteenth century Terminator.
11. "The Hobbit" (Last week: Not ranked)
Andy Serkis has some nice things to say about the film;s main dragon, Smaug (voiced by benedict Cumberpatch).
12. "Star Wars" (Last week" Not ranked)
Lucas says he's done with the saga. Just don't tell him about the continuing "Clone Wars," the upcoming live-action TV series and the six 3D re-releases starting next month.
13. Les Miserables (Last week: Not ranked)
Aaron Tievt is going from the high school drama of "Gossip Girl" to the post-revolutionary Parisian underworld of "Les Miserables," the big screen musical version starring Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.
14. "Underworld: Awakening" (Last week: Not ranked)
The fourth film is ready to win some fans back to the franchise, with the always-charming Kate Beckinsale here to persuade you.
15. "The Artist" (Last week: Not ranked)
With its Golden Globe wins for best comedy and best actor, the silent phenomenon is poised for the big win on Oscar night.
Movie Power Rankings appears weekly on HitFix. See the previous installment's rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
14 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard