Movie power rankings: Lex Luthor rumors push 'Man of Steel' to No. 1
Where do 'Hunger Games,' 'Bridesmaids 2' and 'Dark Knight Rises' end up?
Although director Zack Snyder ("Watchmen," "300") has always maintained that his upcoming Superman reboot won't relate to any other film incarnations from the past (or future), rumors have started popping up about a certain often-portrayed archnemesis making a cameo in "Man of Steel." "The Hangover" star Bradley Cooper has been the talk of the web today as a possibility to play Lex Luthor in the film, now that Cooper's next feature "Paradise Lost" has been postponed. If there's any truth to it, Cooper's role would be small (at least in the first film), as the piece's main villain is the Kryptonian baddie General Zod (Michael Shannon). Luthor was played by Gene Hackman in four "Superman" films, with Kevin Spacey taking up the identity for 2006's "Superman Returns." What do you think of the idea of Cooper as Lex?
As for the rest of this week's list…
January 5, 2012
1. "Man of Steel" (Last week: Not ranked)
Would Bradley Cooper look good bald?
2. "Skyfall" (Last week: Not ranked)
The newly-revamped site for the upcoming 23rd James Bond film doesn't include a whole lot to behold yet, but does offer us our first fleeting glance at 007's next adventure.
3. "Bridesmaids 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
Would Universal really make a sequel without Kristen Wiig or Judd Apatow? That's like making "Speed 2" without Keanu Reeves.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
4. "The Evil Dead" (Last week: Not ranked)
"Mirror, Mirror" star Lily Collins leads the cast of the reboot of Sam Raimi's cult horror series. Groovy.
5. "Les Miserables" (Last week: No. 10)
Amanda Seyfried and Taylor Swift have both reportedly been offered roles in the musical, co-starring Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.
6. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Last week: No. 12)
Official new photos reveal that Spidey's a Ramones fan (just as they were Spidey fans), and offer another look at the lovely Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy.
7. "Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 8)
More on-set photos show Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) on the hunt, Elizabeth Banks dressed to the nines and Lenny Kravitz lounging with Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson (with odd-looking long hair).
8. "The Girl Who Played With Fire" (Last week: Not ranked)
Even with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" opening to relatively disappointing numbers, Sony is still keen on adapting the second book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy.
9. "The Hobbit" (Last week: No. 1)
Peter Jackson discussing Middle Earth is something that will never get old.
10. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 6)
Not much new news this week, but it's still hyped enough to top In Contention's most-anticipated films of 2012 list.
11. "Horrible Bosses 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
The original film's principal players are all ready for a promotion.
12. "Lovelace" (Last week: Not ranked)
The cast of this biopic of "Deep Throat" star Linda Lovelace keeps getting weirder/better: Demi Moore, Adam Brody and Eric Roberts are joining Amanda Seyfried, Hank Azaria, Sharon Stone, and as Hugh Hefner, James Franco in the film.
13. "Paranormal Activity 4" (Last week: Not ranked)
Looks like we officially have a new "Saw" franchise, only with ghosts instead of Rube Goldberg torture devices.
14. Martin Scorsese's untitled Frank Sinatra biopic (Last week: Not ranked)
Sounds like he's finally ready to do it, possibly in 3D (which he used brilliantly in "Hugo").
15. "Drive" (Last week: No. 13)
If you missed the Ryan Gosling-Albert Brooks-Carey Mulligan love triangle drama in theaters, here's your chance to see it.
Movie Power Rankings appears weekly on HitFix. See the previous installment's rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback