Movie Power Rankings: 'Dark Knight Rises' and 'The Hobbit' fight for first
Where do 'Star Trek 2,' 'Hunger Games' and 'Amazing Spider-Man' end up?
As part of some sort of cinematic arms race, two of 2012's most highly-anticipated blockbusters conspired to crash the Internet this week as millions of people watched brand new trailers for Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" and Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit." Let's just say that Batman and Bilbo share the No. 1 spot, as we can't wait to see either of them. While "The Hobbit's" trailer seems to trade primarily on nostalgia (both for the beloved book and the box office behemoth "Lord of the Rings" trilogy), "Rises" is more determined to undermine viewers' belief that "everything is going to be OK." As Bane clearly states (well, sort of clearly), it's not. And that's OK by us.
As for the rest of this week's list…
December 22, 2011
1. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 1)
Even with a villain that a lot of people can't understand -- literally -- the trailer for Nolan's last Batman film is epically, awesomely epic and awesome.
2. "The Hobbit" (Last week: Not ranked)
3. "Star Trek 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
With no original cast cameos scheduled, does this mean that J.J. Abrams is confident enough to make the series entirely his own? In IMAX?
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
4. "Wrath of the Titans" (Last week: Not ranked)
The sequel's new trailer features giants, pegasus and Sam Worthington. Wait, you don't even need to see the trailer to know that.
5. "Skyfall" and the James Bond franchise (Last week: Not ranked)
Daniel Craig could possibly star in five more films as 007. That's a lot of martinis.
6. "300: The Battle of Artemisia" (Last week: Not ranked)
Eva Green is in talks to add some estrogen to the muscle-bound prequel. She'll play, naturally, a goddess.
7. "Prometheus" (Last week: Not ranked)
"Alien" prequel. NOT "Alien" prequel. Either way, the trailer should be worth a look.
8. "Amazing Spider-Man" (Last week: No. 2)
David Fincher talks about what he would've done with the beloved Marvel character. What if...?
9. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" sequel (Last week: Not ranked)
All-Talking apes, eh? Maybe they can come up with a title. "The Continuing Rise of the Planet Currently Home to the Apes" or something. Maybe not.
10. "Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 8)
Arrows, daggers, lots of make-up. It's all in the game, according to these new images.
11. "The Avengers" (Last week: Not ranked)
Two heroic new stills, featuring Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.
12. "Man of Steel" (Last week: No. 13)
Could Zack Snyder's "Superman" reboot really put the emphasis on practical flying effects?
13. "Lincoln" (Last week: Not ranked)
Jump into the Wayback Machine (meaning these photos) and see what Steven Spielberg has in store for his cast, including Daniel Day-Lewis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
14. "Fast Seven" (Last Week: Not ranked)
Vin Diesel confirms that not only will we get a sixth "Fast and Furious" flick, but we'll likely get a seventh. This is getting to be like "Saw."
15. "Drive" (Last week: Not ranked)
Despite the increasing number of critics awards being picked up by "The Artist" and "The Descendants," the neo-noir drama and co-star Albert Brooks are still being championed by some notable critics.
Movie Power Rankings appears weekly on HitFix. See the previous installment's rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?