Movie power rankings: Box office dominance keeps 'The Hunger Games' at No. 1
Where do 'RoboCop,' 'The Master' and 'Twilight' end up?
After racking up one of the biggest openings of all-time and seemingly only suffering a comparatively slight backlash, "The Hunger Games" has dominated recent entertainment news the way only the biggest pop culture phenomena can. For the most part, fans seem happy, critics seem happy and, obviously, the studio suits seem happy. The latter will likely stay that way through 2012; this is just the first blockbuster of the year. We still have "The Avengers," "The Dark Knight Rises," "Twilight," "The Hobbit," and who knows what else to come. Despite the inevitable protests from meteorologists, summer is already here, thanks to "Hunger Games."
As for the rest of this week's list…
March 28, 2012
1. "The Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 1)
Just get used to seeing the new franchise on this list.
2. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 11)
In what's becoming a Comic-Con tradition, fans will again be able to complain that WB and director Christopher Nolan aren't bringing the latest -- and, in this case, last -- Batman film to the summer event. Maybe the next onscreen iteration of the hero will be more eager to make the journey to San Diego.
3. "Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II" (Last week: No. 2)
It's heeeeeeere: The teaser for the VERY LAST "Twilight" ever. Watch it 10 million times.
4. "The Avengers" (Last week: No. 3)
The Marvel hero story will reap Tribeca glory while director Joss Whedon takes you behind-the-scenes in this
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
5. "RoboCop" (Last week: Not ranked)
Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing") drops a few small tidbits about the highly-anticipated reboot.
6. "Wrath of the Titans" (Last week: No. 12)
The reviews are in, and it's...better. Better is good.
7. "Carrie" (Last week: Not ranked)
Stephen King's earliest smash hit is coming to the big screen again, with Chloe "Kick-Ass" Moretz. Bring your own pig's blood.
8. "Total Recall" (Last week: Not ranked)
It's not a teaser for the remake -- at least not yet. It's a tease of the teaser. But it's a good tease.
9. "The Dictator" (Last week: Not ranked)
A new trailer means more outrageous laughs from Sacha Baron Cohen.
10. "Les Miserables" (Last week: No. 10)
After some candid on-set photos, we get our first official look of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean. Now where's Anne Hathaway?
11. "Mirror Mirror" (Last week: Not ranked)
Most folks have probably already joined either Team Mirror or Team Hunstman, but maybe these new clips will sway those in the latter camp. Maybe not.
12. "Jupiter Ascending" (Last week: Not ranked)
The Wachowskis, creators of "The Matrix," are heading back to SF filmmaking, and they're hoping to bring along Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum for the ride.
13. "Rise of the Guardians" (Last week: Not ranked)
The first trailer for the CG epic explains what it's all about...sort of.
14. "The Master" (Last week: Not ranked)
Paul Thomas Anderson's first post-"There Will Be Blood" film sets a release date in October.
15. "The Host" (Last week: Not ranked)
New pics show that "Twilight" mastermind Stephenie Meyer has some other spooky ideas that don't involve vampires or werewolves.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
13 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy