'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' to debut in IMAX five days earlier than Dec. 21st release date
New sequel will go big in early screenings
Attempting to bring back a "level of showmanship" to the opening of major Hollywood films, director Brad Bird has announced that "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" will open five days earlier than its December 21st release date - but only in IMAX theaters.
According to Bird in an interview he gave to the LA Times' Hero Complex, Paramount is currently putting the finishing touches on a deal that will see the highly-anticipated sequel debut in over 200 IMAX theaters around the country on December 16th (as well as a few "prestige" theaters). 25 action-heavy minutes of the film were reportedly shot in the large-screen format after Bird convinced the studio to let him do it.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Bird also denigrates the 3-D format somewhat in the interview, saying he feels that the 3-D image, while "immersive" (a favorite Hollywood buzz word used to sell audiences on the format), is ultimately compromised a bit too much to his liking.
"To me, 3-D is really interesting, and there’s been some good films," said the director, best known for helming the Pixar blockbusters "Ratatouille" and "The Incredibles". "I’m as big a fan of 'Avatar' as anybody, but what is not discussed often is the power of a really, really, really big screen. Part of the pitch of 3-D has always been “It’s more immersive.” And I agree that added depth perception is immersive, but you dim the image down and now I’m talking step back. You put on glasses and now I’m taking another step back."
It's quite a refreshing take on the industry from the Oscar-winning filmmaker, and I encourage you to click on over and read the full piece if you get a chance.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)