Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johansson set for 'Iron Man 2'
'The Wrestler' star will play a Russian villain, with 'The Spirit' star playing Black Widow
Finke's blog reports that Rourke is signed and committed to the sequel to last summer's blockbuster "Iron Man," playing the film's Russian villain.
Rourke was first attached to the project back in January as awards buzz was slowly building for his comeback performance in "The Wrestler." After a Golden Globe win and an Oscar nomination, Rourke's stature was sufficiently elevated that he went looking for a better deal from the studio and, after two months, got what he wanted.
Finke says that Rourke was also being considered for a villainous role in "Spider-Man 4" and that Rourke just-so-happens to be in Russia right now promoting that country's release of "The Wrestler."
While the exact specifics on Rourke's "Iron Man 2" role are a bit fuzzy, we know that Johansson (whose name Finke can't spell) is set to play Russian superspy Black Widow, taking a part originally offered to Emily Blunt.
Blunt, though, was roped into doing the Jack Black comedy "Gulliver's Travels" thanks to a 20th Century Fox option dating back to "The Devil Wears Prada."
The "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" star was able to sweep in for a role which, according to Finke, commits her to multiple potential films in the franchise including the "Avengers" movie.
"Iron Man 2," set to begin production next month, also stars Robert Downey Jr., Don Cheadle and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Are you the only one of your friends without a Wii? HitFix wants to give you a chance to win a Wii console player, a Flip digital camera or an iTunes gift card. Show us your entertainment know how and enter the Knowing movie contest today.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H