MGM gets a bite of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'
Sony pays a price for getting Bond 23
It was long rumored that Sony Pictures would pay a price to get back in the James Bond business and today it was revealed just what that price would be. Sony announced today that MGM was investing in and receiving a financial stake in David Fincher's highly anticipated thriller "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Sony Pictures will continue to produce, market and distribute the film worldwide. MGM will handle select international television licensing on the picture.
In a statement, Sony Pictures framed the news as part of both companies previous agreement to "explore co-financing opportunities on future motion pictures produced by each of the respective studios for the next five years." Sony is already distributing "The Zookeeper" which was produced by the previous MGM regime. Two other MGM films on the shelf, "Red Dawn" and "Cabin in the Woods," are said to be well done and commercial sells. However, the new MGM ownership has been playing hardball with expensive demands that have kept potential interested partners on the sidelines. Those two pictures do not appear to have a home at Sony.
Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" stars Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara. The first of three expected films is based on the best selling "Millennimum Trilogy" literary series by Stieg Larsson. The picture is being produced by Scott Rudin ("The Social Network") and was adapted by Steve Zaillian ("Schindler's List").
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" opens nationwide on Dec. 21.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!