Confirmed: 3D Metallica film in the works
New 'Beyond Magnetic' EP getting physical release later this month
Get ready to see and hear "One" in 3 dimensions. After many reports and rumors, veteran metal gods Metallica are continuing celebrations of their 30th anniversary by planning a 3D concert film.
According to the band's site, "We're here to tell you that, yes, there is indeed a 3D project in the very early stages of production! We wish we could tell you more right now, but we don't have all the finer points nailed down just yet. What we can tell you is that we are planning on being in a theatre near you sometime in 2013 and as you hear us say ever so often, this will be the space for all the details as we finalize them."
They were the subject of the candid 2004 documentary "Some Kind of Monster," in which the three core members (James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett) entered group therapy together in order to exorcize their personal demons in time to focus on their then-new album "St. Anger." Bassist Rob Trujillo was added to the lineup at the same time.
The band's latest release, the "Beyond Magnetic" EP, collects outtakes from their most recent LP, "Death Magnetic." It was initially available online only, but will see a physical release on January 31. They also recently released the critically maligned collaboration with Lou Reed entitled "Lulu." They're working on a new record for 2012 as well.
In 2011, Metallica celebrated its 30th anniversary with a series of small shows in San Francisco that included guests like Motorhead's Lemmy, Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler and Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford, Kid Rock, Reed and others. You can watch the recap of the final, star-studded show here:
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season