McLovin' and Doctor Who joining 'Fright Night' remake
Intriguing cast for DreamWorks reboot of the more original '80s horror flicks
DreamWorks Studios is quickly ramping things up at their new Disney home and are about to flip the switch on a remake of the 1985 comedy-horror flick "Fright Night." The picture already has Anton Yelchin ("Star Trek"), Colin Farrell ("Daredevil") and Toni Collette ("The Sixth Sense") on board, but now two more genre veterans are joining the cast.
According to Heat Vision, David Tennant (the last "Doctor Who") and Christiopher Mintz-Plasse (better known as Red Mist or McLovin from "Kick-Ass" and "Superbad" respectively) will join the Craig Gillespie ("Lars and the Real Girl") directed reboot. Tennant will play a Vegas magician who is a self-proclaimed "vampire expert" but really isn't in a reconfiguration of a role originated by Roddy McDowell. Mintz-Plasse will play the iconic Evil Ed, a friend of Yelchin's character Charlie.
Similar to the original "Night," Charlie is a local teen who is convinced his new neighbor (Farrell) is a blood sucker. Things get more complicated when his mom (Collette) falls under the vampire's charms and Evil Ed decides to join his clan.
This marks Tennant's first real break in Hollywood even though he had a supporting role in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." Tennant is best known for playing the tenth incarnation of "Doctor Who" on the long-running BBC series.
Mintz-Plasse has also appeared in "Year One" and "How To Train Your Dragon."
The new "Fright Night" is expected to begin production sometime this summer.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set