McG may have a 'Spring Awakening'
'Terminator: Salvation' helmer in talks to direct Broadway smash
McG has been a busy man. Not only is he putting the finishing touches on what has becoming a highly anticipated potential summer blockbuster, "Terminator: Salvation," he's been developing a project as far from an action franchise as you can get: a musical.
Yes, according to The Hollywood Reporter, McG has been discussing a big screen adaptation of "Spring Awakening" with original book writer and song lyricist Steven Sater. McG would direct and produce the movie musical through his Wonderland Sound and Vision company. While the filmmaker has a deal at Warner Bros., the studio distributing "Terminator," the Broadway favorite might be independently financed to keep the intimacy and edge of the original stage production.
A Tony winner for best musical, book, original score and actor in 2007. Sater and composer Duncan Sheik (better know for his 1996 hit "Barely Breathing") based the musical on a 1981 German play about a group of teens discovering their sexuality and dealing with subjects such as masturbation, abortion, rape and suicide.
While McG might not seem like a filmmaker destined for movie musicals, he got his start on that side of the business co-produing Sugar Ray's first album and made numerous music videos for bands and artists such as Cypress HIll, Korn, Wycleaf Jean, Everclear and Smash Mouth. Plus, did you ever see that musical number dream sequence with Cameron Diaz in "Charlie's Angels"? 'Nuff said.
No word on what the timeline is for a big screen "Spring Awakening," but don't expect a definitive word on the project until a studio or financing is secured.
News From Our Partners
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures