McAvoy cured of cancer comedy but Gordon-Levitt ready for treatment
'500 Days of Summer' star joining Seth Rogen dramedy
It's been a pretty amazing 12 months for Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He starred in the summer breakout hit "500 Days of Summer," the blockbuster "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," shot Christopher Nolan's thriller "Inception" and was the saving grace of Sundance pickup "Hesher." Now, Gordon-Levitt is stepping in at the last minute as the lead character in a new Jonathan Levine's new untitled cancer comedy.
Levitt is replacing James McAvoy who, according to distributor Summit Entertainment, had to drop out "due to unrelated circumstances beyond his control." Whether that really means "family matters" or he got sucked into another movie via contract is unclear. At the moment, it is allowing Gordon-Levitt to join an intriguing cast including Best Supporting Actress nominee Anna Kendrick, Bryce Dallas Howard, Anjelica Huston, Philip Baker Hall and Seth Rogen.
Based on screenwriter Will Reiser's true life story, the film follows a twentysomething man who discovers he has cancer. Rogen is also producing. In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Rogen reflected on McAvoy leaving saying, "It's incredibly unfortunate that circumstances outside of everyone's control have taken James away from the project, but, with James' blessing, we were able to have Joseph step in to take on the role of Adam. We all look forward to working with James in the future."
McAvoy is scheduled to present at this Sunday's 82nd Academy Awards.
Production begins Monday in Vancouver.
News From Our Partners
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy