Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson team for new TV series
Duo to play 'True Detectives' in serial-killer drama
Fellow surfing aficionados Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey are hitting the small screen to team up for a new detective series.
The two actors - who previously starred in the films "EDtv" and, erm, "Surfer, Dude" together - have signed on to star in "True Detective", an eight-part drama series that will focus on a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. McConaughey and Harrelson will star as Rust Cohle and Martin Hart, respectively, two detectives whose lives become intertwined as they pursue the case.
The project, which will be shopped to cable networks by management/production company Anonymous Content, was written by novelist Nic Pizzolatto (who recently wrote two episodes of AMC's "The Killing") and is to be helmed by "Jane Eyre" director Cary Fukunaga for the duration of the series' eight-episode run. The plan, according to news-breaker Deadline, is for the central mystery to be resolved at the end of the first season, with subsequent seasons focusing on different characters and stories (in a similar strategy to Ryan Murphy's "American Horror Story").
This will be the first regular TV gig for McConaughey. Harrelson, of course, rose to stardom as Woody Boyd on eight seasons of the hit NBC sitcom "Cheers".
Anyone excited to see McConaughey and Harrelson teaming up on the small-screen? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 days ago
8 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas