Matt Damon, Kate Winslet and Marion Cotillard set to battle 'Contagion' outbreak
Jude Law will also star in the virus-thriller from Steven Soderbergh
Steven Soderbergh has been trying to get the commercial side of his career back on track after a long drought of hits. It didn't work out with Brad Pitt and the baseball drama "Moneyball," but now "The Informant" director is recruiting some heavy hitters for a new viral-outbreak thriller.
According to Variety, "Contagion" will star Soderbergh favorite Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard and Jude Law and center on a deadly disease outbreak, but feature multiple storylines similar to the filmmaker's Oscar-winning "Traffic."
Scott Z. Burns, who worked with Soderbergh on "Informant" and with Damon on "The Bourne Ultimatum," wrote the screenplay. The project is currently being independently financed, but could find a studio partner coming on board before filming is expected to begin later this year.
At the moment, Soderberh is shooting another potential commercial breakout, "Knockout" for Relativity Media. That thriller features the big screen debut of mixed martial arts champion Gina Carano, but Soderbergh has smartly recruited Channing Tatum, Ewan McGregor, Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderas to give her an experienced starpower assist.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy