'Lone Ranger,' starring Johnny Depp, heading to theaters December 2012
Armie Hammer to co-star in film directed by 'Pirates of the Caribbean' vet Gore Verbinski
Disney will release "Lone Ranger," starring Armie Hammer as the title hero, and Johnny Depp as his partner Tonto, on December 21, 2012, according to Deadline.com.
In "Lone Ranger," a Texas Ranger is saved by a Comanche Indian named Tonto, and the duo become vigilantes fighting crime in 1869, with the Lone Ranger wearing a mask to protect his real identity.
The film re-teams Depp with Gore Verbinski, who directed the actor in the first three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films and well as this year's animated "Rango."
Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio (the "Pirates" films) wrote the script with Justin Haythe. Jerry Bruckheimer (also of "Pirates" fame) is producing. The film will start shooting later this year.
Depp can currently be seen reprising his role as Jack Sparrow in the hit "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." He'll soon appear in "The Rum Diary" and in Tim Burton's big screen "Dark Shadows" update.
Hammer played the dual role of the Winklevoss twins in David Fincher's "The Social Network" last year, and will soon co-star in "The Brothers Grimm: Snow White," alongside Lily Collins and Julia Roberts.
The 2012 holiday season already has some impressive titles lined up, including Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" on December 14, 2012. the following week sees the debuts of Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" adaptation, Judd Apatow's untitled new film and Relativity Media's "Hunter-Killer."
Watch Johnny Depp talk about "Lone Ranger," "Rango" and more here:
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season