Listen: Usher's new divorce track 'Papers'
Will ladies fall out of love with the R&B singer as he airs his legal laundry?
Usher has a long history of airing his, well, "Confessions" to the public, and his latest track "Papers," culled from his forthcoming album, is no exception.
This rich R&B track takes the listener through heartbreak and prepping to "sign them papers," a reference to divorce papers, which Usher himself had to recently file this summer. He was formerly married to now ex-wife Tameka Foster since 2007.
The new album, dubbed "Raymond vs. Raymond," is tentatively due Dec. 8. Raymond is the singer's last name.
Usher released his biggest album to date, "Confessions," in 2004, yielding huge hits like "Yeah!" and "Confessions Pt. II." While the album was a gift that kept on giving great singles, he was loath to release a new full-length until last year's "Here I Stand," and with it came another mega-hit "Love in this Club." It was at this point that, likely, every woman ever fell back into love with Usher.
Which brings us to this single. What I find rare about it is that the topic of divorce -- not just breakups -- hasn't been spelled out so clearly in R&B music as it is here. (Country music has been turning that trick for years, just listen to Tammy Wynette.) Usher has a devoted fanbase, and they'll likely be into this, line and sinker but still...
"Who the hell argues and fights like dogs at 6 in the morning?/I know its gonna' be some more shit tonight."
Never knew there were lyrics to air getting sucked out of the room.
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike