Listen: Nicki Minaj and Chris Brown team up for 'Right By My Side'
Third single from 'Roman Reloaded' hits the web
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating A
The latest in a long line of Chris Brown apologists is hip-hop superstar Nicki Minaj, who recently collaborated with the still bizarrely-popular (and now Grammy-winning) tantrum-thrower on "Right By My Side", a track from her upcoming sophomore album "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded". And today, lucky us, the song was leaked out all over the interwebs for our listening enjoyment. Yippee!
"It all comes down to this/I miss your morning kiss," sings Minaj in the cringe-worthy opening lines of the track, which essentially has she and Brown portraying lovers pining for each other after having a falling out.
"Let's meet at our favorite spot/You know the one, right around the block," coos Brown in his portion, before Minaj launches into one of her famously raunchy raps: "When my pussy game so cold that he always seem to come back/Cause he know that it’d be a wrap/When I’m riding it from the back," she spits at one point. Yeah, you have fun with that.
Look, I'm not gonna say that the chorus isn't catchy ("I-I I-I, I’m not living life/I’m not living right/I’m not living if you’re not by my side") and that the high-gloss production doesn't get the job done well enough, but in all frankness it's hard for me to consider "Right By My Side" solely on its artistic merits when I find the man being featured on it so incredibly reprehensible. Still, if I'm being fair - a state that requires me to take my enormous personal dislike for Chris Brown out of the equation - I'd have to go ahead and rate the track a solid "B".
After listening to the song below, be sure and grade it for yourself at top left...
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
"Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" will be released on April 3.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When