Listen: New MGMT single 'Flash Delirium' from forthcoming album
Hey 'Kids,' this ain't no 'Time to Pretend'
MGMT has unveiled the first single from its forthcoming sophomore set "Congratulations" and -- in words that most elementary school art teachers must mutter to themselves -- there's a lot going on there.
"Flash Delirium" clocks in under five minutes, but with the number of movements, motifs and style occurring, it feels like a psych jam worthy of 10.
Download the track at the band's new website; stream it below.
Whereas the group's previous hits "Time to Pretend" and "Kids" let the low end on synths drive those songs, this track lets the electric bass and live drums ultimately take the reigns at mid-tempo: more head-bopping than hip-shaking. Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser's vocals are as rubbery and histrionic as ever, leading rounds, Beach Boysian harmony rivalry and, utlimately, a climactic freak-out in the last 20 seconds.
I've listened to the track about 10 times now, too, and still have no idea what it's about, though I like this lyric to part with: "Dance until the heart explodes/ and we’ll make this place ignite."
Oh, and there's a flute non-solo that meanders into the ceremony like a child lost in a park.
This likely won't dominate living room dance parties or the floors off the Lorimer stop in Brooklyn like select tracks from "Oracular Spectacular" did 2008-2009, nor can I imagine anyone feeling particularly inspired to make the remix. But it is a lot to think about and seems to be an imaginative direction for the band as its "Congratulations" drops on April 13. I just wouldn't mind to hear more of that Lady GaGa influence.
News From Our Partners
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career