Listen: New MGMT single 'Flash Delirium' from forthcoming album
Hey 'Kids,' this ain't no 'Time to Pretend'
MGMT has unveiled the first single from its forthcoming sophomore set "Congratulations" and -- in words that most elementary school art teachers must mutter to themselves -- there's a lot going on there.
"Flash Delirium" clocks in under five minutes, but with the number of movements, motifs and style occurring, it feels like a psych jam worthy of 10.
Download the track at the band's new website; stream it below.
Whereas the group's previous hits "Time to Pretend" and "Kids" let the low end on synths drive those songs, this track lets the electric bass and live drums ultimately take the reigns at mid-tempo: more head-bopping than hip-shaking. Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser's vocals are as rubbery and histrionic as ever, leading rounds, Beach Boysian harmony rivalry and, utlimately, a climactic freak-out in the last 20 seconds.
I've listened to the track about 10 times now, too, and still have no idea what it's about, though I like this lyric to part with: "Dance until the heart explodes/ and we’ll make this place ignite."
Oh, and there's a flute non-solo that meanders into the ceremony like a child lost in a park.
This likely won't dominate living room dance parties or the floors off the Lorimer stop in Brooklyn like select tracks from "Oracular Spectacular" did 2008-2009, nor can I imagine anyone feeling particularly inspired to make the remix. But it is a lot to think about and seems to be an imaginative direction for the band as its "Congratulations" drops on April 13. I just wouldn't mind to hear more of that Lady GaGa influence.
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One