Listen: Lil Wayne previews new single 'Right Above It' with Drake from jail
Grammy-winning rapper sounds sad, sweet in radio interview
A radio rip is all we have for now, but at least it's something: Lil Wayne's "Right Above It" featuring Drake premiered on DJ Clue's Power 105.1 radio show yesterday (Aug. 4), right around the same time the rapper was giving an interview from jail to Hot 97.
The song is culled from the Grammy winner's forthcoming EP, "I'm Not a Human Being," due on his 28th birthday, Sept. 27. He recorded the tracks before he headed to jail on gun charges earlier this year. He will be released from Rikers Island in November.
In his first phone interview from prison, Wayne told Funkmaster Flex that he calls to check in on and catch up with his Young Money signees Drake and "future wife" Nicki Minaj from the pokey, though his friends don't always pick up the phone. "I call Drake at least once a week, but I actually call three or four times a week, but he only picks up for me once a week... Put in this position, I just feel like every time I pick up the phone to dial a number, I feel like I'm a bother, because I'm in jail," he said. "“I call my my mother, my kids. You know I’ve got a lot of kids to call."
On his free time, "Once I start reading that fan mail, literally, I could read it all day, every day because it's so much. That fan mail knocks off like four, five hours of the day." And upon release, "I'm gonna move more carefully, and definitely take heed to my situation and my status... everybody says that you're here for a reason, and I promise you, Flex, I try to find out that reason every day. I search for it. But I think when I get out, that'll be the only time I'll really know the answer. Every day I look for that reason."
Considering the source of the audio below, please excuse the plentiful, obnoxious radio drops from Clue.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews