Listen: Kris Allen's self-titled album streamed in its entirety
Set comes ahead of a very busy release week
Among the major releases next Tuesday (Nov. 17), Kris Allen's may be one of the most anticipated. Obviously 19 Recordings/Jive want to sustain the excitement through at least this weekend, so they're currently letting AOL Music stream the album in full.
I mean, HitFix would, like, totally stream it ourselves, but the powerful power of Allen's good-lookin' album cover blazed through one of our servers already.
Critic Melinda Newman will be reviewing the set on her blog as you return to weekday life on Monday, but in the meantime, we can at least tell you this: don't expect too much acoustic sweetness that may have strummed your heartstrings during Season 8 on "American Idol." Allen goes the electric power-pop-rock route on most of the album, his powerful voice keeping up with a lot of medium to medium-fast tempoed tracks.
"Kris Allen" leads off with the single "Live Like We're Dying." Click here to watch the video. Sad to see that the JC Chasez-penned "Build It Back" didn't make the cut. Of course his cover of Kanye West's "Heartless" is on there, with a chorus treatment that reminds us of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight."
This is Allen's second album, but his first for a major label and post-AI. He co-wrote nine of the set's 13 tracks and wrote one on his own, "Red Guitar."
Leona Lewis, John Mayer, OneRepublic, Norah Jones, Paul McCartney and more all have new albums out on Tuesday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)