Listen: Kelis sings single 'Acapella,' scores a new label home
Where has the singer been since 2007?
With a hot new dance track available for the masses, plus a brand new label deal, it's safe to say that Kelis is back.
Billboard reports that the singer has signed with Interscope via will.i.am's Music Group, her new deal since parting ways with Jive in 2007.
The announcement comes on the heels of the "Milkshake" performer posting a new track, "Acapella," on her website last week (click there for the high quality stream). Superstar DJ and deft mixer David Guetta's fingerprints are all over this one, and to great effect: it's dance-ready, singable and evergreen. Listen to a stream of the track below.
Kelis has had a tumultuous year, even post-Jive: she filed for divorce from her famous husband, rapper Nas, while she was still pregnant.
"I suppose people assumed after the baby and divorce and all the time I took off (went to culinary school during my break which was amazing and another conversation) that it would be on to motherhood for me. And well that’s true…as I lay here with my perfect little won ton now writing you all this message," Kelis said on her site. "My album is pretty much done. I signed a new deal and I’m madly in love with life and ready to share something with you."
No word yet when a new set is due, though it will also feature guests will.i.am, Free School, Boyz Noize, Burnz and DJ Ammo. Her last album was 2006's "Kelis Was Here."
Busy times for will.i.am, too: his band Black Eyed Peas just announced a 100-date world tour.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title