Listen: Jim James pays tribute to George Harrison
Working hard on anything but a new My Morning Jacket album
James is also prepping the release of "Tribute To," a six-song EP of George Harrison covers, under the moniker Yim Yames. The set was recorded in 2001, just days after the former Beatles' passing, with only acoustic guitar and James' voice. It contains four tracks of songs from Harrison's solo album "All Things Must Pass" plus two Beatles song Harrison penned, "Love You To" and "Long Long Long."
The EP will be available for download on July 7 via the Yim Yames website, where fans can currently download the track "Behind That Locked Door" if they fork over their email address for future mailings. Limited edition vinyl and CDs go on sale Aug. 4 via ATO. Stream "Behind That Locked Door" below.
A portion of sales will benefit the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary.
Yames/James, lead singer/guitarist for My Morning Jacket, is also working on recording a solo record, or at least that's what his site says. No further details have surfaced.
Also according to his site, "[Y]im is producing an album by Ben Sollee and Daniel Martin Moore to benefit Appalachian Voices and help stop the disastrous effect of mountaintop removal." Which makes us very excited, considering Ben Sollee is our favorite nerdy dark horse and DMM released a very good album last year through Sub Pop.
My Morning Jacket last released "Evil Urges" last year, which makes James diversions acceptable at the least.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- William Bradley: Mad Men: 'Chevy Is Spelled Wrong!' PHOTOS: The Bluth Banana Stand Is Here! WATCH: Elisabeth Moss Was Nervous About Peggy's Future
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash