Flaming Lips' 6-hour song to be sold for charity
Sean Lennon will say your name
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma City-based alternative rock band Flaming Lips has recorded a six-hour song to raise money for the Central Oklahoma Humane Society and the University of Central Oklahoma's Academy of Contemporary Music.
The band says in a Monday news release that the project has raised about $20,000 with fans donating $100 each to hear their names spoken by Sean Lennon in the song. Lennon is the son of the late John Lennon.
Flaming Lips lead singer Wayne Coyne said the project will help address a record number of homeless animals in Oklahoma City. He said the music academy's share will help to purchase the latest in music technology.
Publicist Rick Gershon said Tuesday that Coyne is both a longtime animal rights advocate and wants to support young musicians.
Copyright (2011) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts