Flaming Lips' 6-hour song to be sold for charity
Sean Lennon will say your name
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma City-based alternative rock band Flaming Lips has recorded a six-hour song to raise money for the Central Oklahoma Humane Society and the University of Central Oklahoma's Academy of Contemporary Music.
The band says in a Monday news release that the project has raised about $20,000 with fans donating $100 each to hear their names spoken by Sean Lennon in the song. Lennon is the son of the late John Lennon.
Flaming Lips lead singer Wayne Coyne said the project will help address a record number of homeless animals in Oklahoma City. He said the music academy's share will help to purchase the latest in music technology.
Publicist Rick Gershon said Tuesday that Coyne is both a longtime animal rights advocate and wants to support young musicians.
Copyright (2011) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights