Lindsay Lohan's 'Inferno' lost is Malin Akerman's gain
'Watchmen' star replaces tabloid regular in Linda Lovelace biopic
It's had to imagine anyone who can take Lindsay Lohan seriously as an actress these days, but filmmaker Matthew Wilder tried. The director attached the tabloid queen and former "Mean Girls" star to his Linda Lovelace biopic "Inferno: A Linda Lovelace Story" and presold the picture at the 2010 Cannes Film Market to raise funding. Unfortunately, Lohan's constant issues with drugs, alcohol and rehab made it impossible to insure the drama. Now, with Lohan out, Wilder has revealed Malin Akerman will step into the Lovelace role.
Lovelace is best known for her part in the iconic '70s porno film "Deep Throat," but the actress later insisted she'd been forced to participate in the production by her controlling husband. Those claims were made in Lovelace's 1980 book, "Ordeal: An Autobiography," and are the basis for Wilder's screenplay. She eventually became an anti-pornography activist before passing away at the age of 53 following injuries sustained in a 2002 traffic accident.
Akerman recently appeared in the Sundance Film Festival indies "The Romantics" and 'Happythankyoumoreplease, but she's best known for her roles in "Watchmen," "27 Dresses" and "Couples Retreat." The 32-year-old actress recently completed the independent thriller "Criminal Empire for Dummy's" alongside Gary Oldman.
Wilder expects to begin production on "Inferno" this February.
This story was first reported by E!Online and then confirmed by Wilder's Facebook page.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie