Lil Wayne's 'Rebirth' gets another, pre-Christmas release date
His 'Carter' documentary to head straight-to-DVD next week
If this Lil Wayne "Rebirth" album really is going to drop, it's getting a start with a whimper, not a bang.
Universal Music Group has updated its website saying that the rap star's rock album experiment is due Dec. 15 this year, via his Cash Money label. It will be packaged with the Young Money collective debut disc "We Are Young Money."
Weezy's website, at press time, does not reflect the announcement.
"Rebirth" was originally supposed to drop April 7 earlier this year and experienced a couple other tentative release date changes. It's first two singles didn't perform up to Lil Wayne standards, with the No. 15 peak of practical non-song "Prom Queen" and a No. 33 stop of "Hot Revolver." You can listen to both below: most fans, including this one, agree it's not the star's finest moments.
It's that exact sentiment that made many critics believe "Rebirth" would never see the light of day. But after more tracks leaked online and Wayne could get feedback, he reportedly went back to the drawing board, according to MTV.
"I play guitar on 80% of the songs and there’s a lot of rock influences and rock beats," Lil Wayne told Billboard magazine last month. "But I don’t want people to think I’m trying to do something I can’t do. Don’t think you’re going to put on the album and hear me screaming and singing.
Returned interest to the set could have come when Wayne hit a wall this fall: after continued work on mixtapes and prepping "The Carter IV," he was hit with a guns possession conviction, with sentencing to one year in jail due in February. Right now seems like a good time for the rapper to wrap-up some unfinished business.
In other Lil Wayne news, "The Carter" the documentary is getting its own release... straight to DVD, next week. The film got a premiere at Sundance in January, but Wayne and his management tried to block its release all this year. It reportedly includes scenes of the rapper smoking pot and abusing cough syrup. Trailer below.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When