Leonard Nimoy open to wearing Vulcan ears in more 'Star Trek' films
Elder Spock says he'll never say 'never' again
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Leonard Nimoy says he would be onboard for more "Star Trek."
After a 19-year absence, Nimoy reprises his iconic role as Mr. Spock in director J.J. Abrams' new "Star Trek" prequel opposite Zachary Quinto, who stars as a younger version of the half-Vulcan, half-human science officer.
"Star Trek" studio Paramount Pictures is already preparing a sequel to the highly anticipated sci-fi franchise reboot set to premiere May 8.
"If J.J. Abrams calls me, I answer the phone," Nimoy said during a recent interview. "I don't say 'never' anymore."
Nimoy, 78, chuckled when asked about possibly reuniting on-screen with William Shatner, the original James T. Kirk actor who doesn't appear in the new voyage. Nimoy said Shatner told him "now we're even" in regard to appearing in the "Trek" prequel after Shatner cameoed without Nimoy in 1994's "Star Trek: Generations," which featured the death of Kirk.
Still, Nimoy insisted it was "too early to speculate" about possibly donning Spock's pointy ears once again.
"The character is much more relaxed about who he is and what his life should be about whereas (younger Spock) is just beginning to find himself," said Nimoy of the movie's mature Spock. "It works extremely well. The character I portray in this film is much more like who I am today, personally. I am as close as possible to the character as I could ever be."
Nimoy will next appear as Massive Dynamic founder William Bell in the May 12 season finale of Fox's "Fringe."
Copyright (2009) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts