Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry top Forbes list of highest-earning female musicians
Beyonce and Rihanna also make the cut
Though Lady Gaga coming in at #1 on a list of top-earning female musicians isn't really much of a surprise, the monetary gap between Mother Monster and the #2 earner - country music sensation Taylor Swift - is incredibly stark, with the former taking in a whopping $90 million vs. Swift's paltry $45 million.
So how did Gaga make so much money in the stretch spanning from May 2010 through May 2011 (the time period in which Forbes took into account each stars' pre-tax earnings?) For one thing, her concert sales are unrivaled in pop music, where the singer takes in - according to Forbes - a $1.3 million nightly gross while on tour. Add to that big album sales (her "Born This Way" was released on May 23, 2011) and several lucrative endorsement contracts with companies like Polaroid and Virgin Mobile, and you've got yourself one wealthy entertainer.
'Twilight' stars Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson top Forbes' 'most-bankable' list
Which actors from 'Dark Knight Rises' and 'The Avengers' also made the top ten?
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
As for Swift - not exactly a slouch in the earnings department - the pop-country star brings in an estimated $1 million a night while on tour, while her last album, 2010's "Speak Now", sold over a million copies Stateside in its first week alone.
The other slots in the top ten are occupied by more or less the usual suspects, all of them working in the pop-music field - the genre of music which by its very nature holds the widest possible audience appeal. Here's how the rest of the list shakes down:
3) Katy Perry, $44 million
4) Beyonce, $35 million (which Forbes describes as a "dip in earnings", oh poor B)
5) Rihanna, $29 million
6) Pink, $22 million
7) Carrie Underwood, $20 million
8) Celine Dion, $19 million (thanks mostly to her Vegas show bringing in an estimated $2.3 million nightly!)
9) Adele, $18 million
10) Britney Spears, $10 million and Alicia Keys, $10 million (tie)
What do you think of the list? Anyone you're surprised to see here? Anyone you thought would've made the cut but didn't? Sound off in the comments section below!
News From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born