'Twilight' star Kristen Stewart goes 'On the Road' in first poster, new images from her latest film
Sam Riley, Garrett Hedlund, Amy Adams also star in upcoming Jack Kerouac adaptation
- Critic's Rating C
- Readers' Rating A-
Like her as an actress or not, Kristen Stewart deserves at least a little bit of credit for taking roles in some interesting independent films following her big "Twilight" breakthrough - films that include jailbait rock-band biopic "The Runaways", Sundance drama "Welcome to the Rileys" opposite James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo, and now "On the Road", the Walter Salles-directed adaptation of the classic novel by Beat Generation icon Jack Kerouac.
The novel, largely an autobiographical work, centers on two free-spirited young men - narrator Sal Paradise (a stand-in for Kerouac) and his friend Dean Moriarty - who embark on a series of wild and woolly road trips through the U.S.
In the film, Sal (the book's narrator) is played by Sam Riley (the British actor who portrayed late Joy Division singer Ian Curtis in "Control") and Dean is played by "Tron: Legacy" heartthrob Garrett Hedlund. Stewart, meanwhile, plays Marylou, Dean's first wife who accompanies the two friends on several of their escapades. Amy Adams, Viggo Mortenson, Kirsten Dunst, Steve Buscemi, Terrence Howard and Elisabeth Moss also star (albeit most of them only briefly).
Though the film has no set release date in the U.S. as of yet, distributor Focus today released the first poster for the film, along with several images depicting Riley, Hedlund and Stewart's characters as they burn their way through mid-20th century America.
The poster itself is fine, I suppose, though it feels pretty uninspired given the source material and more or less screams "generic road movie". As such, I'm going to award it a perfectly average "C" grade - a totally appropriate rating for such a good-looking but banal piece of work.
You can check out the poster and all six images below. Once you're done, be sure and grade the former for yourself at top left!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion