Julia Ormond in talks to play Superman's mom in 'Man of Steel'
'Law and Order' actress would join Russell Crowe in Zack Snyder's reboot
Last week, we reported that Oscar-winner Russell Crowe will be playing Superman's Kryptonian father, Jor-El, in Zack Snyder's upcoming "Man of Steel" reboot. Now, Deadline.com reports, British actress Julia Ormond is in talks to play Supes' mother Lara.
Crowe and Ormond will play the hero's biological parents in early scenes on the doomed planet Krypton, before young Kal-El is sent to Earth where he's raised in Smallville by Ma and Pa Kent (Diane Lane and Kevin Costner).
Snyder ("300," "Watchmen") is directing from a script by David S. Goyer ("Batman Begins," "Dark City"). Christopher Nolan, the dream architect behind "Inception" and "The Dark Knight," is executive producing for Warner Bros. and DC Comics.
Lara was played by Susannah York in the original Richard Donner "Superman" films, with Marlon Brando playing Jor-El.
Ormond recently appeared in Steven Soderbegh's "Che" and David Fincher's "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." She co-stars on "Law and Order: Criminal Intent," now in its final season on the USA Network.
"The Man of Steel" is tentatively scheduled to open in December 2012.
News From Our Partners
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title