Josh Hutcherson and Dane Cook's 'Detention' coming to theaters
Joseph Kahn-directed film mixes genre elements
"Detention," a genre-bending low-budget film starring Josh Hutcherson, Dane Cook and Shanley Caswell ("Little Victories") is heading to theaters. Sony Pictures announced it has acquired worldwide rights to the film.
Mixing elements of comedy, horror, sci-fi and action movies, the film centers on a group of high school seniors who face off against a slasher killer, and ultimately find themselves in a position to save the world - if only they can get out of detention.
Directed by music video veteran Joseph Kahn (2004's motorcycle actioner "Torque"), "Detention" was co-written by Kahn and Mark Palermo.
"This is the best apocalyptic fantasy, horror, science fiction, action- thriller, body swapping, time-traveling teen romantic comedy that we have ever screened. The pace, energy, and awesomeness Joseph Kahn has achieved in 'Detention' is completely mind-blowing in the best way possible," said Sony exec Scott Shooman in a statement.
The film recently won the Youth Jury prize for best FutureWave Feature Film at the Seattle International Film Festival.
"I am thrilled for 'Detention' to find an enthusiastic home at Sony," said Kahn. "I am looking forward to unleashing our apocalyptic fantasy, horror, science fiction, action- thriller, body swapping, time-traveling teen romantic comedy!"
Josh Hutcherson was recently seen in "The Kids Are All Right," and will soon appear as Peeta Mellark in the highly anticipated "Hunger Games."
Comedian Dane Cook has appeared in such films as "Good Luck Chuck" and "Mr. Brooks."
Read Drew McWeeny's review of "Detention" from SXSW here.
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!