'Jon & Kate' draws huge audience for season debut
Controversy pays off for TLC show with 9.8 million viewers
NEW YORK (AP) - "Jon & Kate Plus 8" drew a huge audience for its fifth-season premiere, according to Nielsen Media Research.
Boosted by scandal and a media siege, the TLC reality series attracted 9.8 million viewers Monday night - more than double the audience for its fourth-season finale several weeks ago.
"Jon & Kate Plus 8" was already TLC's most popular show as it chronicled the challenges of raising eight young children. But there were newcomers watching Monday who may never have heard of the show until the recent rash of magazine covers and online bulletins.
Jon and Kate Gosselin, the parents of twins and sextuplets, have recently been swamped by media coverage that alleged they had cheated on each other.
The couple continued to deny the allegations on Monday's episode. They acknowledged their marriage is in trouble but lashed out at the media firestorm surrounding them.
"Did I ever think I'd see myself on the front of the tabloids?" Kate said, "or see those words that are there? No. It kills me!"
"I did not sign up for a public scrutiny of everything," said Jon.
However painful for the Gosselins, public scrutiny clearly did its part to make their season comeback an enormous hit.
Copyright (2009) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More