Johnny Depp may play Paul Revere and 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker'
'Pirates of the Caribbean' actor will produce both films for Disney
Billion-dollar box office star Johnny Depp will potentially star in two very different roles for Disney.
According to Deadline.com, Depp's production company, Infinitum Nihil is collaborating with Disney on two new projects for him to produce and possibly star in. The first is a feature remake of the '70s TV movie "The Night Stalker," while the second title will deal with Paul Revere's famed Midnight Ride. Infinitum Nihil's Christi Dembrowski will co-produce both films.
"The Night Stalker" is based on the 1972 telepic that centered on the journalist Carl Kolchak (played by Darren McGavin), whose investigations usually ended up bringing him in contact with the supernatural. It spawned the 1974 ABC series "Kolchak: The Night Stalker," and inspired a short-lived 2005 TV remake that starred Stuart Townsend and Gabrielle Union. David Kennedy will executive produce the film.
The Paul Revere film is being set up at Disney with Lee and Janet Batchler ("Batman Forever") writing. The film sounds to be a straightforward re-telling of the Revolutionary-era patriots famous midnight ride in which he warned the Colonials about the approaching British army. Depp would play Revere.
The Oscar-nominated actor was recently heard in the animated film "Rango," and his "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" recently topped the the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office.
The actor has a busy schedule these days: His Hunter S. Thompson-inspired "The Rum Diary" will be released October 28, he's currently shooting Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" redo, and he'll soon play Tonto in the Gore Verbinski-directed "The Lone Ranger."
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)