John Lennon's 70th birthday gets commemoration from Yoko Ono, EMI, Radio City, 'Nowhere Boy'
Plastic Ono Band, Fab Faux, Sundance film and solo album remasters on the way around Oct. 9
Today, Lennon's widow has announced that she'll be re-lighting the Imagine Peace Tower in Iceland. A ray of light is shot into the night from the island of Viðey, "to join together and let the power of light and prayer become a collective expression of the desire for peace and harmony on our planet." Her relaunched Plastic Ono Band will perform after the ceremony.
Last year, Yoko Ono released an album under the Plastic Ono Band moniker, dubbing it "Between My Head and the Sky," and featuring a new lineup comprised, too, of Lennon's son Sean, Japan pop-rock experimenter Cornelius, Yuka Honda, among others. The original members -- Eric Clapton, Klaus Voormann and Jim Keltner -- performed (sans Ringo Starr) together earlier this year at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, a reunion that also boasted guests like Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Bette Midler, the Scissor Sisters, Paul Simon and Ween's Gene Ween. There is no word yet who will be performing at the Iceland event.
Meanwhile, Ono has been working in conjunction with Lennon and the Beatles' label EMI to release and re-release a number of Lennon-centered albums, in an initiative called the "Gimme Some Truth" campaign.
Eight of the songwriter's post-Beatles albums will be remastered from the original mixes and re-released on Oct. 9."John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" (1970), "Imagine" (1971), "Some Time In New York City" (1972), "Mind Games" (1973), "Walls and Bridges" (1974), "Rock ‘n’ Roll" (1975), "Double Fantasy" (1980) and "Milk and Honey" (1984) will all be repackaged with digisleeves, featuring the original artwork and new liner notes.
"Double Fantasy" is also getting a "Stripped Down" version, with Yoko Ono and Jack Douglas co-producing a rawer edition of the album. There will be four albums of "Gimme Some Truth" themed compilations, and a two-volume "Power To The People: The Hits." And then there's "The John Lennon Signature Box," a "deluxe 11-CD and digital collection of the eight remastered albums, a disc of rare and previously unreleased recordings, and an EP of Lennon’s non-album singles."
Meanwhile, Radio City Music Hall wants in on the celebration, so they've announced an evening with the Fab Faux, a renowned five-man Beatles cover band, commissioned to perform two sets of Lennon-penned songs on Sept. 25. The evening promises special guests and "a diverse set list, ranging from possible selections including Lennon’s "Instant Karma" to "Jealous Guy’ to ‘Give Peace A Chance," to The Beatles’ "Girl" and "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me & My Monkey." A portion of proceeds will benefit Lennon and Ono’s Spirit Foundation non-profit. Tickets are on sale now.
Sundance Film Festival selection "Nowhere Boy," which chronicles the early musical years of John Lennon, his family and meeting Paul McCartney, heads to select theaters on Oct. 8. Click here for the trailer and more information.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS