NBC buys John Legend-produced family comedy series 'Mixed Blessings'
About a famous hip-hop artist reconnecting with teenage son
Platinum-selling musical artist John Legend has made his first major deal as a TV producer, selling a single-camera family comedy entitled "Mixed Blessings" to NBC through his Get Lifted Film Co. Legend will executive-produce the project along with his production partner Mike Jackson, whose upbringing in suburban Philadelphia served as the inspiration for the show.
The series will center on a famous, urban-raised hip-hop artist who discovers he has a teenage son living with his white adoptive family in the suburbs, Deadline is exclusively reporting. He then attempts to establish a relationship with the boy and his brood, resulting in a "culture clash" scenario.
Former NBC exec Teri Weinberg is also executive-producing the series, which received interest from several other networks before landing at Weinberg's former home. Rob Pearlstein will write and co-executive-produce the project.
Legend's last album was a collaboration with The Roots entitled "Wake Up!", released last year. Though it sold only moderately well, Legend went on to win a Grammy Award for Best R&B song for "Shine", the final track on the album. He shared two more Grammys with The Roots, one for Best R&B Album and the other for Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance for the song "Hang On In There".
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!