Jessica Chastain says she won't be appearing in 'Iron Man 3'
Actress reveals non-involvement via her official Facebook page
Jessica Chastain won't be joining the "Avengers" universe any time soon.
"Sorry to say that Iron Man 3 isn't going to work out," wrote the in-demand actress on her official Facebook page yesterday. "My schedule is jammed packed and I can't fit anything else in. The press announced my possible attachment far too soon. I know many of you wanted me to be involved, and I'm so sorry to disappoint you. Hopefully there'll be another Marvel film in my future. Shane Black and everyone on the IM3 team are really wonderful. I'm very excited to see the film when it comes out. xx"
Chastain's possible attachment had been rumored early last week, though she was by no means confirmed for the role. The character she would have played was reportedly that of a beautiful scientist who goes head-to-head with protagonist Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.).
Other actresses reportedly up for contention in the role Chastain was flirting with are Diane Kruger ("Inglourious Basterds"), Gemma Arterton ("Wrath of the Titans") and Isla Fisher ("Confessions of a Shopaholic"). Thoughts on which of these thesps you'd like to see in the film instead?
News of Chastain's non-involvement follows word that "Avengers" star Scarlett Johansson, who first played the Black Widow in "Iron Man 2", would also be sitting out the third installment of the Marvel franchise (though she noted that a cameo isn't entirely out of the question).
Chastain will next be seen in John Hillcoat's "Lawless" opposite Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf, Gary Oldman, Mia Wasikowska and Guy Pearce. The film hits theaters on August 31.
"Iron Man 3" is set to be directed by Shane Black ("Kiss Kiss Bang Bang") and will star returning cast members Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle, with Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley and Andy Lau joining the franchise for the first time. The film is slated for release on May 3, 2013.
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More