Jessica Chastain and Mark Strong circling Kathryn Bigelow's Bin Laden drama
'Carlos' star Edgar Ramirez also in talks to join Joel Edgerton in fact-based film
Oscar-winning "The Hurt Locker" director Kathryn Bigelow looks to be adding some more big guns to the cast of her next film, the highly-anticipated dramatization of the Navy SEAL hunt for Osama Bin Laden.
Although no deals are in place, The Hollywood Reporter says that Jessica Chastain ("Tree of Life"), Mark Strong ("Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy") and Edgar Ramirez ("Carlos") are all circling the project. Separately, Chastain confirmed to HitFix in December that she was excited to begin shooting Bigelow's new film in January.
They would join cast members Joel Edgerton ("Warrior"), Chris Pratt ("Parks and Recreation") and Jason Clarke ("Public Enemies"). The as-yet-untitled film will center on Navy SEAL Team 6 as it searches out the Al Qaeda mastermind, who was finally killed in May of 2011 after nearly a decade of hiding.
The film has come under scrutiny several times, due to allegations that the producers were supplied with top secret intelligence from the White House during consultations. In a clear effort to somewhat distance the film from politics, Sony aims to release it after the fall election, on December 19.
Chastain, who had a very busy 2011 with both "The Help" and "Tree of Life" garnering awards buzz (plus "The Debt" and "Take Shelter"), was set to star opposite Tom Cruise in the SF film "Oblivion" but it's unclear if that film would potentially conflict with the Bin Laden project.
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'