Jessica Chastain and Mark Strong circling Kathryn Bigelow's Bin Laden drama
'Carlos' star Edgar Ramirez also in talks to join Joel Edgerton in fact-based film
Oscar-winning "The Hurt Locker" director Kathryn Bigelow looks to be adding some more big guns to the cast of her next film, the highly-anticipated dramatization of the Navy SEAL hunt for Osama Bin Laden.
Although no deals are in place, The Hollywood Reporter says that Jessica Chastain ("Tree of Life"), Mark Strong ("Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy") and Edgar Ramirez ("Carlos") are all circling the project. Separately, Chastain confirmed to HitFix in December that she was excited to begin shooting Bigelow's new film in January.
They would join cast members Joel Edgerton ("Warrior"), Chris Pratt ("Parks and Recreation") and Jason Clarke ("Public Enemies"). The as-yet-untitled film will center on Navy SEAL Team 6 as it searches out the Al Qaeda mastermind, who was finally killed in May of 2011 after nearly a decade of hiding.
The film has come under scrutiny several times, due to allegations that the producers were supplied with top secret intelligence from the White House during consultations. In a clear effort to somewhat distance the film from politics, Sony aims to release it after the fall election, on December 19.
Chastain, who had a very busy 2011 with both "The Help" and "Tree of Life" garnering awards buzz (plus "The Debt" and "Take Shelter"), was set to star opposite Tom Cruise in the SF film "Oblivion" but it's unclear if that film would potentially conflict with the Bin Laden project.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy