'Hunger Games' star Jennifer Lawrence on 'X-Men: First Class' sequel: 'If they write me in, I'm in'
Actress confirms she'll return as Mystique if given the chance
After becoming the second-youngest actress ever to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Actress for her performance in the gritty 2010 indie "Winter's Bone", 21-year-old Jennifer Lawrence took full advantage of her new-found notoriety by signing on to star as Mystique in the Matthew Vaughn-directed superhero prequel "X-Men: First Class" in 2011.
Now, with her next bigger-budgeted studio film "The Hunger Games" looking to do blockbuster numbers in its first weekend (it opens on March 23) and "First Class" having grossed nearly $350 million worldwide on its release last summer, Lawrence's Hollywood career is hotter than ever, with two major franchises now under her belt.
So with her participation in the "Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" all but a done deal at this point (let's face it, that film is getting made), will Lawrence also reprise her role in the "First Class" sequel now being penned by "Last Stand" writer Simon Kinberg and with Vaughn once again attached at the helm? The choice isn't exactly up to her at this point, though she's certainly game for a return.
"I don't know, I mean...if they write me in, then I'm in," Lawrence told me during a "Hunger Games" roundtable discussion, after I asked for an update on her role in the "First Class" follow-up. "But I don't even know if there'll be...I've only heard what everybody else has heard, just whispers. I haven't heard the official word yet."
Of course, if the sequel happens it's hard to imagine Lawrence not reprising her role - and besides, like the rest of the main cast it's likely she's contracted for at least one more film anyway. Not that she minds.
"It's a cool thing," she said of her experience making "First Class". "It wasn't until later, [that I thought]..."I'm Mystique. That's a cool...she's kind of like a historic superhero, and that's really important to a lot of people, and these comics have been around for so long. It was a cool thing to be a part of."
Are you looking forward to a "First Class" sequel, and did you enjoy Lawrence's performance as Mystique in the first film? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock