Jay-Z, Diddy, Dr. Dre top Forbes list of wealthiest hip-hop artists
Woah, Sean Combs is worth how much?
Rap mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs is currently the biggest baller in hip-hop.
At least that's according to a new list published by Forbes, which counts down the five wealthiest artists in the genre based on net worth.
The entrepreneurial rapper - arguably better known for his business portfolio than his musical abilities these days - is worth a total of $550 million, according to the magazine, thanks to financial stakes in popular brands including Ciroc Vodka and his Sean John clothing line. The Artist Formerly Known as Puff Daddy also reaps substantial profits as co-founder of the Bad Boy record label he founded in 1993.
Coming in second on the list is Beyonce baby daddy Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter, whose net worth comes in at a whopping $460 million - an amount tied to the $200 million-plus sale of his Rocawear clothing line in 2007 as well as a 10-year, $150 million LiveNation deal made the following year. He additionally owns a stake in NBA team the New Jersey Nets (you can see him pictured at a recent game above) and, oh yeah, he also makes music occasionally.
Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry top Forbes list of highest-earning female musicians
Beyonce and Rihanna also make the cut
'Twilight' stars Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson top Forbes' 'most-bankable' list
Which actors from 'Dark Knight Rises' and 'The Avengers' also made the top ten?
At number four on the list is Cash Money Records co-founder Birdman (nee Bryan Williams) with a net worth of $125 million. The entrepreneur's wealth has increased dramatically as of late thanks to semi-recent blockbuster signees including Nicki Minaj and Drake (top-selling rapper Lil Wayne is also on the roster). With the label's Universal deal ending this summer, Forbes notes that an all-out bidding war could break out between numerous record companies for distribution rights to future releases from the label.
Rounding out the list is rapper Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, currently worth a measly $110 million, according to the magazine. Though Fiddy's record sales certainly aren't what they used to be (there's still no release date on the horizon for his long-delayed fifth studio album thanks to ongoing battles with label Interscope), he sold his stake in the lucrative Vitamin Water brand for a cool $100 million back in 2007and additionally reaps profits from branded products including shoes, videogames and headphones. A further financial windfall will likely follow from the forthcoming release of his charitable Street King energy shots.
All in all, it's hard to know how to sum up the list any better than the Birdman himself, who proclaimed the following in a recent interview with Forbes: “One of my motivations in life is to be a billionaire. ...We’re going to keep working hard until we get our brand to be as big as possible. That’s the goal in life, that’s what I live for.”
A profound sentiment, that.
Are there any hip-hoppers you're surprised didn't make the list? Who do you think will be next to crack the top five? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)