Jay-Z and Kanye West settle 'Different Strokes' lawsuit
R&B singer Syl Johnson sued over sample of his song in 'Watch the Throne' track
Jay-Z and Kanye West have settled a lawsuit brought last October by '60s and '70s R&B star Syl Johnson, who alleged the duo used a sample of his 1967 song "Different Strokes" without permission. The rappers and their co-defendants (including Island Def Jam and Universal Music Group) settled out of court with Johnson, leading the case to be dismissed before going to trial.
The "Strokes" sample was used on "The Joy", a bonus track featured on the deluxe edition of the rappers' 2011 album "Watch the Throne".
In his lawsuit, Johnson reported that West had previously been denied permission to lift the sample for a track on his last solo effort, 2010's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", only for it to later show up on "The Joy".
As previously mentioned, this is not the first time Johnson has sued a high-profile musical act; his lawsuit against Southern California rap group Cypress Hill, for their alleged illegal use of his song "Is It Because I'm Black", dragged through the court system for 15 years before finally being dismissed in 2008. Artists including Michael Jackson and Jefferson Airplane have also been the targets of legal action by Johnson.
No details of the settlement, which was first reported by TMZ, were made available.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)