Jane Fonda to play Nancy Reagan in Lee Daniels' 'The Butler'
Forest Whitaker closing a deal to lead cast that could include MIla Kunis, Hugh Jackman and Liam Neeson
Just say yes to this bit of casting news: Two-time Oscar winner Jane Fonda has signed on to play former first lady Nancy Reagan in the drama "The Butler," from "Precious" director Lee Daniels.
Nancy, of course, was the wife of two-termer Ronald Reagan, and dominated 1980s drug war discourse with her famous "just say no" campaign.
According to Variety, Fonda would be one of many stars playing presidents or their wives in the film, which is based on a Washington Post story by Wil Haygood that centers on Eugene Allen, who served as the White House butler for no less than eight presidents between 1952 to 1986.
Oscar winner Forest Whitaker ("The Last King of Scotland") is close to closing a deal to play the title role, with David Oyelowo negotiating to play his son, and Oprah Winfrey in talks to play the role of Allen's wife.
On the presidential side, Liam Neeson is in reportedly in talks to tackle Lyndon B. Johnson, while John Cusack is circling the role of the oft-portrayed Richard Nixon. Meanwhile, Mila Kunis and Hugh Jackman were reported to be in talks to play Jackie Kennedy and John F. Kennedy.
Fonda, whose last film was 2007's "Georgia Rule," abstained from starring in films for most of the '90s and '00s, and seems to be making up for lost time. She has two films in the can (the upcoming "Love, Peace and Misunderstanding" and the in-limbo "...And If We All Lived Together"), and will appear on Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series "Newsroom."
In the 1970s and '80s, she starred in films such as "Julia," "On Golden Pond" and "Agnes of God," and picked up best actress statuettes for her work in 1971's "Klute" and 1978's "Coming Home."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
8 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas