Jake Gyllenhaal going Sci-Fi with 'Source Code'
Moon' director Duncan Jones also on board
It appears Jake Gyllenhaal is continuing to branch out from the typical dramatic roles most moviegoers expect from him. The Oscar-nominee will topline next summer's "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" and now he's in negotiations to star in the Sci-Fi thriller "Source Code."
Variety reports the Summit Entertainment release will find Gyllenhaal playing a soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown commuter and in a "Groundhog Day" scenario, is forced to relive a deadly train bombing until he can determine who is responsible for it. Duncan Jones, who received raves for his indie Sci-Fi flick "Moon," is on board to direct.
At one point, Topher Grace was set to star in the feature, but dropped out when the film was put into turnaround at Universal Studios.
Gyllenhaal isn't abandoning his bread and butter, however. He'll appear alongside Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman in Jim Sheridan's drama "Brothers" next month and is currently filming Ed Zwick's "Love and Other Drugs" with Anne Hathaway and Hank Azaria. The 28-year-old previous dived into the science-fiction genre with "The Day After Tomorrow" and "Donnie Darko."
Jones is also working on "Mute" which should be his next film after "Source."
Production is currently set to begin early next year.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley