Is Lauryn Hill making a live comeback? Rock the Bells and more
Former Fugee is headlining one fest, appearing on Rock the Bells... but in what capacity?
It's a question raised semi-annually, though this year may offer a different answer: Is Lauryn Hill going to make a comeback?
The former Fugee and solo star has been tapped to headline the Harmony Festival out in Santa Rosa, Calif., on June 13 (sharing a headliner bill that includes Slightly Stoopid, no less) but was also named today as "special guest" on the 2010 Rock the Bells hip-hop tour.
But what does that even mean? Wu-Tang Clan -- performing "Enter the 36 Chambers" in its entirety -- is the formal marquee act for the four city tour, which goes Aug. 21-22 and 28-29 in San Bernadino, Calif., San Francisco, New York and Baltimore, respectively. Rakim, KRS-One and Slick Rick are slated to play their most iconic albums as well.
So does that mean this multi-Grammy Award winner's on board for "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," originally released in 1998?
The singer's been in hiding on and off since that album, with an MTV Unplugged album, a Fugees surprise appearance at Dave Chappelle's Block Party and a reunion concert in California in the mid-2000s and occasional interviews and public statements interspersed with radio silence. She has claimed she's been busy being a mother -- she's also claimed the music industry machine disagrees with her, and has said at different times that she's quit the business but also that she's plotting a sophomore set.
So what of this "special guest?" Do you think it's an attention-getting ploy, or that organizers are still trying to get her to commit to performances?
As for the rest of Rock the Bells,Street Sweeper Social Club, Murs & 9th Wonder, Wiz Khalifa, the Clipse, Immortal Technique, Brother Ali, Jedi Mind Tricks, Supernatural, DJ Muggs with Ill Bill, Big Sean, Yelawolf and DJ Rocky Rock are among the other performers. On-sale info is coming soon.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition