"Iron Man 2" dominates overseas with $100.2 million
Marvel Studios' sequel looking to set records stateside beginning Friday
Anyone who doesn't believe "Iron Man 2" is going to blow its predecessor out of the water at the box office should get ready for a big dose of reality this week. You can thank the rest of the world for the heads up. After "Iron Man" grossed just $266.7 million outside the U.S. two years ago, the Jon Favreau sequel debuted early across the globe this past weekend to $100.2 million. To say it will eventually gross more than the first film is something of an understatement.
Opening on 6,764 screens in 53 markets, "Iron Man 2" shined with a massive $14,814 average per screen. The blockbuster opened early outside the U.S. because of industry concern about the upcoming World Cup which will divert most of the planet's male audience in June. The Marvel Studios' franchise will debut stateside this Friday, May 7.
Based on early industry polling, it's largely expected "Iron Man 2" will break the 3-day opening record of $158.4 million currently held by "The Dark Knight." It could also challenge the single day opening tally of $72.7 million "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" found last November.
Look for continuing box office updates on "Iron Man 2" and all the summer blockbusters on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21