'Hunger Games' producer on 'Twilight' comparisons: 'It doesn't make a lot of sense to me'
Nina Jacobson says the two YA series are 'very different animals'
"Honestly, I’ve always thought of them as very different animals," answered Jacobson when prompted about the comparisons at a recent "Hunger Games" roundtable discussion. "I think that they have actually very different fan bases and they are very different books. And so, honestly, I’ve never really understood the comparison and...it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, honestly, because I think they’re quite distinctive books. Very, very different."
Regardless, the inevitable "Twilight" comparisons have cropped up in the media ever since the film first embarked on its journey to the big screen - comparisons that unfortunately don't do justice to the fact of how very different the two young-adult properties are.
While both are targeted at a 'tween/teen demographic, the "Twilight" series is, at its core, a slice of romantic escapism (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that). "The Hunger Games", by comparison, actually has a great deal to say about the way we live now, and possibly where we're headed.
"I think ['The Hunger Games' is] actually a very contemporary book," said Jacobson later. "And I think it speaks to the divisions between the 99 percent and the 1 percent, and I think it speaks to young people and their anxieties about the future that awaits them. And I think it’s a book that is very relevant to the times that we live in, a time where sort of celebrity and the gloss of reality TV and of the quest for fame overshadows larger social ills that people also need and want to talk about. And I think the fact that the book marries those things makes it very relevant."
Jacobson spoke about the project with such passion and conviction throughout that I had no doubt she meant every word of it. And not just passion and conviction for the potential (read: likely) financial rewards to be reaped from the property, but also a belief that the story was a valuable one, worth telling.
Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson & Liam Hemsworth glitz it up at the 'Hunger Games' premiere
Did Miley show up to support her main squeeze?
All other considerations aside, one thing the "Hunger Games" and "Twilight" franchises do have in common (or at least will very soon) is that they're both massively-lucrative pieces of business for anyone lucky enough to be involved.
Do you think there's any relevance to the comparisons between "Twilight" and "The Hunger Games" outside of their young-adult origins? Sound off in the comments!
You can follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console