'Hunger Games' producer on 'Twilight' comparisons: 'It doesn't make a lot of sense to me'
Nina Jacobson says the two YA series are 'very different animals'
"Honestly, I’ve always thought of them as very different animals," answered Jacobson when prompted about the comparisons at a recent "Hunger Games" roundtable discussion. "I think that they have actually very different fan bases and they are very different books. And so, honestly, I’ve never really understood the comparison and...it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, honestly, because I think they’re quite distinctive books. Very, very different."
Regardless, the inevitable "Twilight" comparisons have cropped up in the media ever since the film first embarked on its journey to the big screen - comparisons that unfortunately don't do justice to the fact of how very different the two young-adult properties are.
While both are targeted at a 'tween/teen demographic, the "Twilight" series is, at its core, a slice of romantic escapism (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that). "The Hunger Games", by comparison, actually has a great deal to say about the way we live now, and possibly where we're headed.
"I think ['The Hunger Games' is] actually a very contemporary book," said Jacobson later. "And I think it speaks to the divisions between the 99 percent and the 1 percent, and I think it speaks to young people and their anxieties about the future that awaits them. And I think it’s a book that is very relevant to the times that we live in, a time where sort of celebrity and the gloss of reality TV and of the quest for fame overshadows larger social ills that people also need and want to talk about. And I think the fact that the book marries those things makes it very relevant."
Jacobson spoke about the project with such passion and conviction throughout that I had no doubt she meant every word of it. And not just passion and conviction for the potential (read: likely) financial rewards to be reaped from the property, but also a belief that the story was a valuable one, worth telling.
Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson & Liam Hemsworth glitz it up at the 'Hunger Games' premiere
Did Miley show up to support her main squeeze?
All other considerations aside, one thing the "Hunger Games" and "Twilight" franchises do have in common (or at least will very soon) is that they're both massively-lucrative pieces of business for anyone lucky enough to be involved.
Do you think there's any relevance to the comparisons between "Twilight" and "The Hunger Games" outside of their young-adult origins? Sound off in the comments!
You can follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]