Hugo Weaving going bad again as the Red Skull in 'Captain America'
Marvel Studios has a villain, but still no hero
While the Captain America casting carousel continues with no Steve Rogers in sight, Marvel Studios appears to have landed an adversary for the star-spangled superhero. Who will play the evil Nazi the Red Skull? Why, none other than Elrond the Elf King from "The Lord of the Rings" and Agent Smith of "The Matrix," Hugo Weaving.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Weaving is in negotiations to reunite with his "Wolfman" director Joe Johnston in playing Cap's archenemy.
Word is a lot of work is currently being done on the "Captain America" script so it's still unclear how the Skull will appear in both the World War II era and modern times. In the comic book, the Red Skull was a key operative of Adolph Hitler and fell into a state of suspended animation just like Captain America, only to be revived decades later.
The Reporter indicated that negotiations are at "delicate stage" with the studio being as notoriously diligent (ie, cheap) as usual.
Meanwhile, no actor has been recruited to play the hero of the film even though numerous stars have been brought in for screen tests. Time is running out with production needing to get underway to make next year's July 22, 2011 release date.
The Aussie will be heard later this year in Zack Snyder's CG-animated "Legend of the Guardians."
Look for the latest on the "Captain America" casting as it breaks on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive