Howard Stern brings a new dynamic to 'America's Got Talent'
Sharon Osbourne, Howie Mandel and Nick Cannon discuss working with the king of all media
Expect Howard Stern to shake up the status quo on NBC's summer talent series "America's Got Talent," but maybe not exactly how you'd expect.
Returning judges Sharon Osbourne and Howie Mandel, host Nick Cannon and producer Jason Raff spoke to reporters at NBC's summer press day to provide a preview of what's in store from Stern. However, the king of all media himself didn't join the party.
"He was supposed to be here in a hologram, but the projector's at Coachella," Mandel jokes.
The show's upcoming audition rounds have been filmed so the chemistry with Stern is already established. "The dynamic is dynamic," Mandel says. "The biggest word is surprise. He is so passionate about finding a star. I think America is gonna see a side of Howard they've never seen before. He's a three dimensional human being. As much as being edgy and honest he's also compassionate, emotional, serious when he wants to be. He's a good consummate judge."
He's also not afraid of judging kids. "The other day an adorable child gets up and starts to rap," Mandel says. "I'll be honest, this kid didn't have talent beyond being adorable. Howard being who he is, hit his buzzer on a seven year old boy. The kid heaved and collapsed in tears. Howard turned to me and said, 'Oh my god this is not what i signed up for.' Howard got out of his chair ran up on stage...
"And kicked him!" Osbourne interrupts.
"No! He cradled and consoled the child," Mandel continues. "You're seeing him doing what you think, but at the same time he's a father, he's a human being."
Osbourne isn't surprised at the notion of a kinder, gentler Stern. "I kind of think it's really dated, the perception of Howard," she says. "Everyone thinks he's gonna come in and be outrageous. He comes to us as a man of great experience, especially about music. He started out as a radio station programmer, that's his first love. He's not a little kid trying to get attention, he's the King of All Media."
Stern's filling the slot left vacant by Piers Morgan and Osbourne describes the change as "great." They've already noticed a new energy during the audition round tapings, and Mandel says the audience turnout has been so big, they've had to turn people away.
But not everything has been smooth for Stern. "We did have a lot of Howard Stern fans in the theaters," Raff says. "They didn't always agree with what Howie or Sharon or Howard said. Howard is so used to his quiet studio. He said something the audience didn't agree with and they started booing him. He was shocked."
Osbourne promises Stern won't disappoint viewers looking for outrageous moments. "The one thing I've noticed, before the show started Howard was like 'I'm not gonna stand for this, I'm not gonna stand for that.' Meanwhile he's up on stage with male strippers stripping off."
"America's Got Talent" returns to NBC May 14 at 8 p.m. ET
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
28 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office