Holographic Tupac may go on tour with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg
Deceased rapper's 2D digital rendering wowed audiences at Coachella
The holographic Tupac Shakur, who stunned the crowd at last weekend's Coachella Festival in Southern California, may be bringing the show on the road.
The rapper, who was murdered over 15 years ago, "appeared" at Coachella on Sunday in the form of a weird, glowing 2D digital rendering alongside headliners Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. Real-life guest stars included Eminem, 50 Cent and Wiz Khalifa.
According to The Wall Street Journal, "Representatives for Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg plan to discuss logistics for a tour involving the two performers and the virtual Tupac, according to a person familiar with the discussions."
It further notes that the Digital Domain-created project isn't technically a hologram, but a two-dimensional digital rendering (made from scratch, not using archival footage) projected onto a wall of reflective Mylar plastic. The process is an advancement over a similar one used when Gorillaz "performed" at the 2006 Grammys with Madonna.
According to the story, a tour is "likely but not guaranteed" and "could fall apart for any number of reasons." Eminem, 50 Cent and Khalifa would likely be a part of it, in addition to Dre and Snoop.
If the tour comes to pass and is successful, what's to stop the estates of famed legends such as Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Michael Jackson or The Beatles from sending more dead heroes on the road? Likewise, if a beloved band like The Smiths don't want to reform, why not send in the clones? The Tupac scenario is probably just an isolated case, but should we be wary? More importantly, does this mean that "Jem and the Holograms" can finally tour?
Accept no substitutes. Watch "Tupac" "perform" at Coachella here:
What do you think of this idea? Is it a fun way to celebrate the legacy of a past icon? Or is it a cheap, crass way to cash-in?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title