HitFix's Top 10 Albums of 2009
Our music writers list their favorites from this year: Grizzly Bear, Green Day, Jay-Z, more
Pearl Jam's "Backspacer" and Grizzly Bear's "Veckatimest" came out on top of HitFix critics Melinda Newman's and Katie Hasty's top 10 albums of 2009 lists, respectively. Between the two, only a pair of titles had crossover: "Veckatimest" and Phoenix's "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix."
While rock seems to reign our lists, there's a smattering of pop, hip-hop, singer-songwriters, hard rock and more included. We discussed the personal -- and sometimes incomplete -- nature of list-making in our earlier article on "Why lists?", which is why you should check back in for a gallery of other media outlets' top 10s, too: we at HitFix want you to hear out the full spectrum of best albums from this year.
Stay tuned for other great moments from 2009 and the decade, including the best and worst in music news, top singles, most influential artists and more.
What were the year's best movies? Check in with HitFix blogger Drew McWeeny's list.
Melinda Newman, Music Blogger, "The Beat Goes On"
1. Pearl Jam – Backspacer
2. Green Day – 21st Century Breakdown
3. Neko Case – Middle Cyclone
4. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
5. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
6. Rosanne Cash – The List
7. Monsters of Folk – Monsters of Folk
8. Ben Harper and the Relentless 7 - White Lies for Dark Times
9. Ingrid Michaelson – Everybody
10. Diane Birch – Bible Belt
Katie Hasty, Managing Editor
1. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
I can’t think of an album that’s pleased me more this year, nor that I listened to more.
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz!
3. Jay-Z – The Blueprint 3
There wasn't a moment wasted on this set.
4. Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca
One of the most stylistically creative and sophisticated albums this year.
5. Vetiver – Tight Knit
This just makes me feel, y'know?
6. Major Lazer – Guns Don’t Kill People… Lazers Do
Every time one of these songs came up on random, I was like what the hell, this is amaz… ah, I see.
7. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
Very nearly their best album.
8. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
9. Future of the Left – Travels with Myself and Another
I feel so satisfyingly entertained by the end of this.
10. Visqueen – Message to Garcia
Not a newcomer by a long shot, but the perfect entry point.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley