HBO picks up David Simon's 'Treme'
'The Wire' creator's new series stars Wendell Pierce, Clarke Peters and Steve Zahn
According to The Hollywood Reporter, certain aspects of the deal for the New Orleans set drama are still up in the air, including how many episodes the pick-up is for and when the series will premiere, though it's expected that a fall launch will be in the cards.
Simon created "Treme," set in post-Katrina New Orleans, with Eric Overmyer ("Homicide").
The series is believed to look at the rebuilding of New Orleans, focusing specifically on a group of local musicians. The pilot was shot in the Big Easy and subsequent episodes will also be filmed in New Orleans.
While Showtime just completed a development season in which the network notoriously rejected all of its ordered pilots, HBO has been been busy adding to its stable. In addition to "Treme," HBO has a trio of new comedies -- "Hung," "Bored to Death" and "How to Make It in America." -- heading for premiere, while the Martin Scorsese-directed drama "Boardwalk Empire" will be considered when the pilot is completed.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays