Guy Ritchie and Shawn Levy both circling 'Cannonball Run' remake
Directors envision racing comedy as vehicle for Brad Pitt and Ben Stiller, respectively
Newly-solvent General Motors is looking to get into the movie business, with the car manufacturer in talks with producer Al Ruddy to finance a remake of the 1981 Burt Reynolds comedy "The Cannonball Run". The project is clearly being eyed as a potential feature-length commercial for the company's automobiles.
The project, according to Vulture, is also being circled by a couple of A-list directors, with Guy Ritchie and Shawn Levy both having expressed interest in helming the project as starring vehicles for Brad Pitt and Ben Stiller, respectively. Pitt previously had a supporting role in Ritchie's 2000 crime movie "Snatch", while Stiller served as the protagonist in Levy's two "Night at the Museum" films.
Ritchie appears to have the edge here, according to unnamed insiders, particularly given that the director and Pitt are both repped by talent agency CAA, which boasts GM as a corporate client.
Ruddy produced both of the original movies.
What do you think of this news? Weigh in with your comments below!
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition