'Green Lantern,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Thor' and 'Captain America' highlight a packed Comic-Con 2010 Saturday
Plus: Could both James Bond and Indiana Jones be taking the stage together?
The programmers at Comic-Con provided a bit of a breather for Friday, but have returned with a vengeance to fill Hall H for an intense and star-packed Saturday. "Green Lantern" (aka Ryan Reynolds) will make his debut to kick things off, but will soon be followed by the long awaited in-person appearances of the cast of "Harry Potter" including Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. The trio have always wanted to appear at the Con, but because of the shooting schedule of the "Potter" films could never make it happen. Well, no more.
The schedule also features an end of day presentation from Marvel Studios. The Disney division will finally have the chance to introduce Chris Hemsworth as "Thor" and Chris Evans as "Captain America" to the Comic-Con faithful. There are also rumors the entire cast of the upcoming "Avengers," including Robert Downey, Jr., will appear on stage together. Of course, who represents the Hulk is a big question mark.
The announced panel for "Cowboys & Aliens" could mean a major historical moment for Hall H. Although completely unconfirmed, could film icons James Bond (aka Daniel Craig) and Indiana Jones (aka Harrison Ford) take the stage together? That ladies and gentleman is called a classic photo op.
Lastly, the schedule features a questionable 90-minute break in the middle of the day between 2:30 and 4:00 PM. Could this be set aside for a surprise presentation from 20th Century Fox and "X-Men: First Class"? Or, could Sony Pictures be introducing Andrew Garfield and the rest of the new "Spider-Man" cast? Curiouser and curiouser.
Here's a quick rundown of the Saturda movie presentation highlights overall.
"Green Lantern," "Sucker Punch" and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
11:45 AM-1:15 PM
Who: Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard and Martin Campbell for "Green Lantern"; An unknown crew which could include Abbie Cornish, Zac Snyder, Vanessa Hudgens, Jon Hamm and Carla Gugino for "Sucker Punch"; and Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint making their Comic-Con debuts for "Harry Potter." [Update: Warner Bros. insists the cast will not be there. Just so all those muggles out there know.]
Lowdown #1: The comic-con guide has the film's official synopsis as: "Green Lantern is an epic adventure that crosses galaxies to bring to life the legendary Silver Age superhero Hal Jordan, who is chosen by the ring itself to become the first human member of the Green Lantern Corps and take on the vast and powerful Parallax as it threatens to destroy the world." Wait, Parallax? Parallax is the villain in the first "Green Lantern" movie? Let's hope it's three hours long.
Lowdown #2: The program announcement promises a 'Harry Potter' panel 'created just for Comic-Con fans. What could this mean? Will we have to deal with the wrath of Voldemort hismself?
"Let Me In"
Who: Chloe Moretz, Kodi Smit-McPhee and director Matt Reeves.
Lowdown: The remake of the critic and fan favorite vampire flick shows its stuff to the fickle Comic-Con crowd.
"Resident Evil: Afterlife"
4:00 - 4:45 PM
Who: Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Wentworth Miller and writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson.
Lowdown: You can't keep a good Alice down as the fourth installment of the long running video game movie franchise returns. Plus, it's great to see Larter still has work coming her way after the cancellation of "Heroes."
"Paul" and "Cowboys & Aliens"
Who: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Jeffrey Tambor, Seth Rogen and Sigourney Weaver for "Paul." As for "Cowboys" could this mean Jon Favreau will introduce his star, none other than 007 - Daniel Craig to the Comic-Con faithful? Or, did we mention none other than Indiana Jones - Harrison Ford - is in the new tentpole? Oh, Jon...
Lowdown: "Paul" features a major plot point centered at none other than Comic-Con. Of course, it was shot in Albuquerque, New Mexico, but director Greg Mottola and Pegg went through great pains to make it look as authentic as possible.
"Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger"
Approx. 6:00-7:00 PM
Who: Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and possibly a new Hulk would be smart guesses.
Lowdown: Long awaited debuts of "Captain America," "Thor" and will the entire cast of "The Avengers" take the stage? We're hoping there is some explanation for why "Iron Man 2" was so disappointing as well.
Who: Kevin Smith
Lowdown: The annual no holds barred Q&A from the director of "Clerks," "Dogma" and, most recently, "Cop Out." Considering his rant against critics on twitter this year regarding his last film, this one should be interesting.
Look for continuing coverage of Comic-Con 2010 on HitFix leading up and during the pop culture mega-fest.
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me